Jano and Wito go abroad
"Jano and Wito go Abroad" is an initiative arranged by the Polish publisher Grupa Wydawnicza Relacja, funded by the state resources with the aim of promoting the export of creative industries. The project involves several different activities.
Take a moment to explore the possibilities for your involvement!
Foreign publishers are welcome to apply for grant that aims to support the publication and promotional activities of Polish children’s and YA literature translations. The total grant amount available is 6,800 EUR, and it will be distributed among five publishers. Each selected publisher will receive at least 1000 EUR.
If you are interested in participating and wish to learn more or have any inquiries, you can register for one of the three webinars scheduled for 22nd of August, 23rd of August, and 31st of August at 10 am (Webinar – registration form). Attending these webinars will be regarded as an advantage during the evaluation of grant applications. The webinars will cover the following topics:
- A list of titles covered by the grant. The webinar will provide a comprehensive list of Polish children’s and YA literature titles eligible for funding through the grant. Publishers will have the opportunity to explore the diverse range of works available for translation and publication.
- Guidelines on how to apply for the grant. Detailed instructions and guidelines on the grant application process will be presented during the webinars. Publishers will be guided through the necessary steps and requirements for submitting a successful application.
- Q&A session. The webinars will include a dedicated Q&A session where attendees can address their inquiries and seek clarifications regarding the grant, application process, eligibility criteria, or any other related topics. This interactive session aims to provide valuable insights and help potential applicants better understand the grant opportunities.
BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE GRANT
Foreign publishers who acquire the rights to publish minimum of one children's book from Mamania, an imprint of Grupa Wydawnicza Relacja.
The primary aim of the project is to provide financial support for promotional and publishing activities related to the chosen book(s). The specific publication date will be mutually agreed upon with the publisher, preferably 2 years from the date of the agreement.
- Express your interest in purchasing the rights to the book(s) from Mamania publishing house by contacting the provided e-mail address: t.szwarc[at]mamania.pl.
- Outline your plan for promotional activities in the application form (Grant – application form).
- Ensure timely submission of the completed form before 15th of September. Please note that the order of submissions will be a factor in the evaluation process, so it is advisable not to wait until the last minute.
Upon the announcement of the results, licence agreements will be finalized with the five selected publishers. The grant will be disbursed by 31st of October, and the preferred timeline for publishing should not exceed 2 years from the date of the agreement. The project’s settlement will be based on the presentation of promotional activities conducted around the published book(s), without the necessity of issuing invoices.
Foreign publishers and literary agents have the opportunity to participate in “Study Visits” to the International Book Fair in Cracow. These visits provide an excellent chance to explore Poland’s largest book fair and discover potential literary opportunities.
To learn more about the “Study Visits” and the application process, interested participants can register for one of three webinars ( Webinar – registration form).
Do not miss this valuable opportunity to immerse yourself in the dynamic literary landscape of Poland and connect with fellow publishers and literary enthusiasts at the International Book Fair in Cracow. Register now.
- Co-financing of travel costs. We provide up to 270 EUR reimbursement for your travel expenses based on the presented ticket.
- Hotel accommodation. You will be accommodated in Cracow for two nights, from the 26th to the 28th of October, ensuring your comfort during the book fair.
- Entrance tickets to the fair. We will provide entrance tickets to the book fair, granting you full access to the events.
- Publishing offer presentation. A representative of Grupa Wydawnicza Relacja, the Polish publisher and project organizer will introduce you to the publishing offer of Polish children's books.
- Industry networking opportunities. This “Study Visit” presents an excellent occasion to network and connect with professionals from the publishing industry, fostering potential collaborations and partnerships.
We look forward to receiving your applications by 15th of September. Please ensure that you submit your application on or before this date using the provided form ( Study visit – application form).
To increase your chances of being selected, we recommend applying early, as the order of applications will be considered as one of the evaluation criteria. Selected applicants will be contacted shortly after the application deadline with further details regarding the “Study Visit”. Do not miss this opportunity to be a part of this exciting event!
Introduction to Grupa Wydawnicza Relacja. Learn more about the Polish publisher and the organizer of this exciting project. Get acquainted with our mission, values, and commitment to promoting Polish literature on the international market.
Exploring Mamania’s Publishing Offer. Discover the diverse and captivating publishing offer from Mamania, an imprint of Grupa Wydawnicza Relacja. Explore a wide range of children’s and YA literature titles that are eligible for the grant.
Information about the Grant and the “Study Visit”. Gain essential insights into the grant and the “Study Visit” in Cracow providing unique networking and industry opportunities.
Interactive Q&A Session. Engage with our team during the Q&A session.
To sign up for one of the three webinars, please use the (Webinar – registration form) provided. You have the option to choose from the following dates: 22nd, 23rd and 31st of August, all starting at 10 am. The webinars will be conducted in English via the ZOOM platform and are expected to last between 1 to 1.5 hours, depending on the number of questions and interactions.
You will receive a link to the webinar meeting the day before your chosen date. Please note that applications for the webinars will be accepted until two days before the respective webinar date (i.e., 20th, 21st, and 29th of August). Participating in the webinar will be a significant factor considered during the evaluation of applications for both the grant and the “Study Visit”.
Do not miss this opportunity to gain valuable insights and explore the exciting prospects that await you in the world of Polish children’s books! Register now to secure your spot and be a part of this informative event.
We would like to invite you to visit our stand at the Frankfurt Book Fair from 18th to 20th of October 2023. We will be sharing the collective stand with the Polish Book Institute. This presents an excellent opportunity for you to discover more about the diverse publishing offer of Grupa Wydawnicza Relacja. You can obtain promotional material, explore our catalogue, and have all your queries regarding the acquisition of rights for Grupa Wydawnicza Relacja’s books answered.
We will also be presenting our offer at International Book Fair in Cracow from 26th to 29th of October and at Book Fair Liber in Madrid from 4th to 6th of October 2023. For all interested attendees, we will provide a publishing catalogue in English, offer a glimpse of our bestselling Jano and Wito series through an engaging animation, and facilitate meetings with publishing industry professionals.
• LOOK INTO OUR FOREIGN RIGHTS CATALOGUE AND DECIDE WHICH BOOKS YOU WANT TO APPLY FOR GRANT (read more)
We encourage you to review our publishing catalogues, which are available in English here: Mamania’s catalogue, GWR’s catalogue. You can apply for a grant for promoting and publishing translation of Polish children's literature from Mamania publishing house. For more information about the grant, click here: < grant-information. The contact person for license sales is t.szwarc[at]mamania.pl.
• FEEL FREE TO VIEW ANIMATIONS ABOUT JANO AND WITO, the beloved heroes of our bestselling children's book series. These captivating animations show the titles eligible for the grant, providing an excellent opportunity for publishers interested in publishing and promoting Polish children’s and YA literature (read more)
Jano and Wito is an immensely popular series, specifically designed for the youngest children, and has achieved the bestseller status in Poland, with an impressive record of over 200 000 copies sold! To get a glimpse of the captivating stories, you can watch animations created by the series’ talented illustrator, Przemysław Liput: animation 1, animation 2. As a publisher, you have the exciting opportunity to apply for a grant to publish and promote these wonderful books and introduce Jano and Wito’s adventures to a broader audience. For more information, click here: grant-information.
The Jano and Wito series offers a diverse range of content dedicated to kids of different age. The series includes the following formats:
- Board books. Books for children aged 1–3, supporting speech development, with sensory elements. The series has interactive elements.
- Picture books from speaking development series. Books dedicated to children aged 3–6. They are not only enjoyable reads but also include speech therapy exercises. One of >them entitled “(W)hole sounds” has interactive elements. Speaking development series is also available as audiobooks in Poland.
- Everyday experience picture book series. Dedicated to children aged 2–4. The books about everyday affairs and high educational values. They teach dental care, basic safety rules, nursery adaptation and more.
- Card games with Jano and Wito characters.
If you have any questions about the project, feel free to contact us at rights[at]mamania.pl
Co-financed by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage from the Development of Creative Sectors programme.